- Name Temnospondyl comes from the Greek "temnein" = to cut, and "spondulos" = vertebra. Refers to the Rachitomous vertebrae seen in some species.
- Part of Class Amphibia.
- 40 families.
- 160 genera.
Lasted for roughly 220 Mya, Early Carboniferous - Early Cretaceous.
- Very diverse early amphibians.
- Generally broad-snouted and low skulled. (To see skull morphologies click here)
- Have been found on all 7 continents.
- Mostly Piscivores though it has been suggested that some terrestrial may have eaten athropods as well.