The Bob Savage Memorial Fund was initiated in 1992, based on a generous donation by the late Bob Savage. From 1992-1998, it supported a number of student projects and overseas visits. From 1999, with added donations, the Fund began to make more substantial awards.
2018 Award Winners
- Simone Conti (MSc): The oldest hadrosaurids from the Pyrenees (field work in Spain)
- Yasmeen Erritouni (visiting student): Carotenoid preservation in Cretaceous lobsters (field work on Isle of Wight).
- Jorge Herrera Flores (PhD): The early origin of opisthodontians and the historical biogeography of the Rhynchocephalia (visit to Smithsonian Institution).
- Richard Kelly (PhD): Field work in Xinjiang, China (contribution to costs)
- Steven Zhang (PhD): Exploring elephantid dietary evolution using quantitative 3D textural analysis of tooth microwear (laboratory work in Leicester).
2017 Award Winners
- Jorge Herrera Flores (PhD): Anatomy of marine rhynchocephalians (museum visit to Lyon).
- Richard Kelly (PhD): Late Triassic insects from the Amisan Formation in South Korea (travel costs).
- Melisa Morales Garcia (PhD): Functional and ecological diversity of Mesozoic mammals (museum visit to Berkeley, California).
- Evan Saitta (PhD): Endogenous non-avian dinosaur amino acids from eggshells (laboratory visit to York).
- Evan Saitta (PhD): Experimental proof of palaeocolour (contribution to travel costs to Arizona to carry out experiments).
- Steven Zhang (PhD): A phylogenetic reappraisal of Elephantidae (museum visit to New York).
- Steven Zhang (PhD): Study of Palaeoloxodon from the Penghu Trench (museum visit to Tainan, China).
2016 Award Winners
- Jorge Herrera Flores (PhD): Redescription of the Jurassic sphenodontian Piocormus (museum visit to Leiden).
- Jorge Herrera Flores (PhD): A review and phylogenetic position of the British Late Triassic rhynchocephalians (visit to University of Aberdeen).
- Jake Morton (MSc): Conchostracans of the Late Triassic Bristol fissures (training visit to Berlin).
- Evan Saitta (PhD): Organic tissue preservation in exceptionally preserved dinosaur bone (fieldwork costs).
- Evan Saitta (PhD): Investigating fossil cellular structures (analytical work in Newcastle and York).
- Steven Zhang (PhD): Mammuthus in Europe - origin and early evolution (museum visit to Lyon, France).
2015 Award Winners
- Joanna Gooding (MSc): Victorian hospital patient morphometrics (visit to Powell Cotton Museum to measure chimp crania)
- Jennifer Hill (PhD): gnathostome jaw evolution (data collection at the Natural History Museum, London)
- Aodhán Ó Gogháin (MSc): Carboniferous microvertebrates from New Brunswick (shipping specimens from Canada to UK).
2014 Award Winners
- Nidia Álvarez Armada (MSc): early echinoderm anatomy (visit to Synchrotron at Zürich)
- Martin Chávez Hoffmeister (PhD): Antarcic fossil penguins (visit to Bialystok Museum, Poland)
- Jennifer Hill (PhD): morphometrics of gnathostome lower jaws (visit to Smithsonian Institution, Washington)
- Ryan Marek (MSci): reconstructing a virtual ichthyosaur skull (summer expenses)
- Elis Newham (MSc): Mesozoic mammalian teeth and ontogenetic age (research visit to Helsinki)
2013 Award Winners
- Elis Newham (MSc): Mesozoic mammalian teeth and ontogenetic age (research visit to Helsinki)
- Jon Forth (MSc): Origins of sauropodomorph dinosaurs (museum visit to Stuttgart and Tübingen)
2012 Award Winners
- Peter Adamson (MSc): Skeletonisation of Precambrian and Cloudina (laboratory supplies)
- Naomi Apostolaki (PhD): Pneumatisation of sauropod vertebrae (museum visit, Berlin)
- Gemma Benevento (MSc): Testing the dinosaur decline hypothesis (institution visits, UK)
- Davide Foffa (MSc): FEA study of the Dorchester pliosaur (museum visits, UK)
- Tom Hopkinson (MSci): Giant burrows in the Lower Permian of Devon (fieldwork)
- Robert Lemanis (MSc): Feeding behaviour of phytosaurs (museum visits, UK, Germany)
- Jamie MacLaren (MSc): Biomechanics of dinosaurian herbivory (museum visits, UK)
- Benjamin Moon (PhD): The Late Jurassic ichthyosaur Brachypterygius (museum visits, UK)
- Edine Pape (MSc): Dermal skeletal development of the Devonian fish Moythomasia (visit to SRXTM in Zürich to micro-CT scan specimens)
- Chris Rogers (MSc): Diversity of hybodontiform sharks through time (museum visits; software)
2011 Award Winners
- Naomi Apostolaki (MSc): Pneumatisation in ostrich necks and dinosaur air sacs (museum visits, UK)
- Tom Baird (MSci): Morphological variance of the carnassial blade in living and fossil carnivores (museum visits, UK)
- Andrew Cuff (PhD): Biomechanics of ornithomimid dinosaur feeding (museum visits and field work, USA)
- Claire Desbottes (MSc): Geometric morphometrics of crocodilian jaws (museum visits, UK)
- Naomi Diver (MSc): Morphological variation in skulls of extant Felidae (museum visits, UK)
- Eoin Gardiner (MSc): Disparity in the feeding system in crocodylomorphs (museum visits, UK and Germany)
- Anthony Hancy (MSc): Ediacaran fossils from Mistaken Point (museum visits, UK)
- Suzanne Jennions (PhD): Historical effects of ocean acidification on Antarctic bivalves (museum visit, Paris)
- Marilyn Potts (MSc): Global warming, ocean pH, and the planktonic ecosystem (museum visits, UK)
- Judyth Sassoon (Honorary researcher): Body-size estimation in marine reptiles (museum visits, UK)
- Sarah Shelley (MSc): Disparity and biogeography of the Iriomote cat (museum visits, UK)
- Thomas Stubbs (MSc): Mesozoic crocodylomorph disparity (museum visits, UK)
- Zhao Qi (PhD): Growth patterns in Chinese dinosaurs (museum visits)
2010 Award Winners
- David Carpenter (MSc): Strontium isotopic analysis of Pennsylvanian vertebrates from Illinois (analytical costs)
- Isabel Gilbert (MSci): The functional evolution of birds of prey (museum visits, UK)
- Andrew Smith (MSc): The basal mammal Morganucodon (museum visits, UK)
- Emily Woodruff (MSc): Disparity in early primate phylogeny (museum visits, UK and USA)
- Qi Zhao (PhD): Dinosaur histology training programme (University of Bonn)
2009 Award Winners
- Marco Brandalise de Andrade (PhD): Jurassic crocodilian evolution (museum visit, Berlin)
- Felix Marx (MSci): Whale evolution (museum visit, Portugal)
- Kelly Richards (MSc): The early mammal Morganucodon (museum visits, UK)
- Javier Ortega (MSc): Phylogeny of the basal jawless aglaspidids (museum visits, USA)
- Ben Slater (MSc): Late jurassic turtle phylogeny (museum visits, UK)
2008 Award Winners
- Marco Brandalise de Andrade (PhD): Museum visits to study fossil crocodilians in Germany
- Marco Brandalise de Andrade (PhD): Museum visits to study fossil crocodilians in London
- Graeme Lloyd (PhD): Museum visits to study early dinosaur fossils in London
- Felix Marx (MSci): Museum visit to study fossil whales in London
- Matthew Pound (MSci): Museum visits to study Jurassic archosaurs in London and Cambridge
2007 Award Winners
- Marco Brandalise de Andrade (PhD): Museum visits to study fossil crocodilians in Brazil
- Steve Brusatte (MSc): Museum visits to Germany to study basal archosaur phylogeny
- Steve Brusatte (MSc): Museum visits to Texas, USA to study basal archosaur phylogeny
- Aude Caromel (MSc): Morphometric studies of Neogene foraminifera in Lyon, France
- Abby Othman (MSc): Fieldwork in New Brunswick, Canada, on Triassic fossil wood
- James Tarver (PhD): Travel to Gothenburg, Sweden to prepare and extract hagfish RNA
2006 Award Winners
- Pam Gill (postdoc) and Felix Marx (MSci): Taxonomic diversity of the early mammal Morganucodon; visit to Cambridge
- Phil Hadland (MSc): Palaeobiology, palaeoecology and taphonomy of the 'Portland screw'; fieldwork in Dorset
- Sandra Jasinoski (PhD): Bone histology of dicynodonts, visit to South Africa
- Luke Mander (MSc): Ecological effects of the Late Triassic extinction event; fieldwork in SW England
- Andrew Przewieslik (MSci): Pteraichnus trackways of Soria Province, Spain; fieldwork in NE Spain
- Sarda Sahney (PhD): Late Palaeozoic tetrapod ecosystem evolution, data collection
- Laura Säilä (PhD): Biogeography and evolution of Russian procolophonids; museum visit to Moscow
2005 Award Winners
- Ian Corfe (PhD): Tritylodontid origins: translation of Chinese papers
- Jeremy Martin (MSc): Marine tetrapods from the Early Triassic of Romania; visit to Bucharest
- Stephanie Pierce (PhD): Jurassic marine crocodilians; visits to British museums
- Laura Säilä (PhD): Procolophonid specimens; visit to Germany and Scotland
- Barbara Sánchez Hernández (PhD): Studies of Early Cretaceous tetrapods from Galve, NE Spain
- Matt Vrazo (MSc): Arthropod invasion of the land; fieldwork in New York State
2004 Award Winners
- Nicole Davies (PhD): Posture and locomotion of sauropodomorph dinosaurs; visits to museums in Germany and Switzerland
- Charles Drew (MSc): Taphonomy of Carboniferous amphibians from Ireland; visit to Dublin
- David Hone (PhD): Phylogeny of basal pterosaurs; visit to Humboldt Museum, Berlin
- Jeremy Martin (MSc): 3D reconstruction of the shoulder girdle of Grippia; museum visit to USA
- Dan Oakley (MSc): Late Miocene peat mires in Vegora, northern Greece; fieldwork
2003 Award Winners
- Ian Corfe (PhD): Re-evaluation of worldwide Oligokyphus species; visits to Tübingen and Stuttgart
- David Hone (PhD): The prolacertiform diapsids of northern Italy; museum visits
- Eduardo Llinas-Agrasar (PhD): North African Cenozoic crocodilians; visit to Munich
- Matthew Riley (MSc): Mid-Cretaceous microvertebrates of north-eastern Spain; fieldwork
- Kate Yarrington (MSc): Sexual dimorphism in anthracomartid arachnids; museum visits
2002 Award Winners
- Pam Gill (PhD): Diet and the chemistry of early mammal teeth; chemical analyses
- Neal Gupta (PhD): Chemistry of fossil preservation, Ardèche, France; fieldwork
- Debbie Hutchinson (MSc): Ichthyosaur body size change through time; museum visits
- Nathan Price-Lloyd (MSc): The Lilliput effect after the end-Permian mass extinction, Italy; fieldwork
- Jane Worrall (MSc): Invertebrate trace fossils from the Middle Jurassic of Yorkshire; fieldwork and museum visits
2001 Award Winners
- Simon Braddy (postdoc): terrestrialization of early arthropods; part costs of visit to Australia
- Stefan Gabriel (MSc): the forelimbs of sauropod dinosaurs; visit to Berlin
- Abby Lane (PhD): ghost ranges and diversity, data collection; visit to Copenhagen
- Eduardo Llinas-Agrasar (PhD): fossil crocodilians from Libya; study of specimens in Paris
- Lance Morrissey (MSc): the Devonian burrow Beaconites ; fieldwork in the UK
- Rebecca Smith (MSc): the Lower Jurassic crocodilian Steneosaurus ; museum visits
2000 Award Winners
- Aaron Hunter (MSc): Mantis shrimps from the Eocene of Monte Bolca, Italy; museum visits
- Polly Snowden (MSc): New Carboniferous cumaceans (marine Crustacea); visit to Amsterdam
- Emmanuel Fara (PhD): The Lower Jurassic crocodilian Pelagosaurus ; museum visits
- Pam Gill (PhD): The early mammal Kuehneotherium ; museum visits
1999 Award Winners
- Gareth Dyke (PhD): Study of fossil bird specimens in China
- Max Langer (PhD): Basal dinosaurs from Germany; museum visits
- Davide Pisani (PhD): Incongruence among published phylogenies of tetrapods; visit to London
Return to Bob Savage Memorial Fund home page.